Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 8: Shaken, Not Stirred

Well, this weekend I was able to imbibe without my favorite drinking buddy - nicotine. Honestly, that was probably the hardest part of this quitting process. For me, smoking while having a drink was a habit, a force of nature. No way did one exist without the other. The perfect counterpart to a glass of champagne on a Friday was a cigarette. And now the champagne stands alone. The cigarette is gone, but not forgotten.

I cant say what kind of effect this has had on my sleeping yet - I'm still fighting the same cold I got last week. I will say this - DON'T sleep with the patch on. I read on the label that it can cause really vivid dreams. No joke - I had a dream I was trapped inside 30th Street Station. Not only did I sleep poorly, I woke up completely disoriented.

Mainly, my weekend consisted of reminding myself constantly that I didn't really want to smoke. Even stopping at 7-11 to buy a Red Bull felt awkward, since I didn't ask for 'Marlboro Menthol Lights Please.' I've said that phrase so many times it became one word - Marlboromenthollightsplease.

Of course, a successful weekend doesn't come without its little payback. I was so tired when I woke up this morning, I didn't pay as close attention to my morning routine as I should have. I left the house without the patch. So far so good, but I make no guarantees that I wont inflict injury on anyone.

1 comment: